Potato Soup in a Buck’s County Bowl

July 14, by Lois Bonner, contributor. Recipe follows.

Mom served the soup in her “Buck’s County” large bowls. My brothers and I would often have contests to see who could eat the most bowls of potato soup, and I usually came out the winner. I remember eating up to a dozen bowls at most sittings! Thank goodness I never had to worry about my weight back then!

I especially remember one occasion that leaves me in tears when I think of it. One Christmas, after I married, our family was trying to plan for all of us to be together at Mom and Dads. I wanted to surprise my parents, so I told them that Joe and I could not be there. The day that Joe and I were scheduled to actually get there, Mom was asking what she should cook for dinner, and Laura told her to make potato soup (because she knew I would be arriving that night). Laura later told me that Mom started crying because that was my favorite meal and she thought I wouldn’t be there to enjoy it. Well, I still remember when we arrived at the house that night and the look on my parents’ faces when they saw us!!! And I got to have potato soup!!

The only items I ever wanted to inherit from my parents (if no one objected) was Mom’s “Buck County” dishes. Last year I received them and when I make potato soup for my own family I only use those same bowls. And every time my family comes to visit me, they will always be served “Potato Soup” in those same bowls!

Recipe for Potato Soup, copied exactly as Mom wrote it on the recipe card for Lois on March 22, 1996

Diced potatoes, onions to taste. Cover generously with cold water and as mixture is heating, mix the ingredients for the dumplings.

To each beaten egg, add ½ c. flour, ½ tsp. salt. Dough should be stiff. Add more flour as needed. Mix by hand - “knead” to make the stiff dough. Drop dough into boiling mixture (break off small amounts with fork). Cover on low heat and cook 10 minutes.

Potatoes should be done, as well as the dumplings at the end of this time.

Add whole milk, salt and pepper to taste. I also add a little cream or butter.

This recipe is identical to what my mother’s mother made with the exception of whole milk. Grandmother used fresh buttermilk when she had it.

Practice makes perfect!

Lois’ variation

I use close to a 5 lb bag of potatoes. I like to dice my onion quite small. None of my girls have ever complained of the onion. Also, for this size pot, I use at least 4 eggs for the dumplings. When the dumplings are done after the 10 minutes, I fill the remaining pot with the milk. Instead of cream, I use one stick of butter. Yummy! (Just be sure to mix the soup well before each serving.)

More Potato Soup Memories...