More Potato Soup Memories

from Paul:

Mother says this is just like the recipe her grandmother used. The only difference is, her grandmother used butter milk. Fresh butter milk, from making butter in the home. In fact, her mother Amanda told her she didn't even know what regular milk was until she left home.

Imagine, homemade potato soup made with fresh butter milk and hand-churned butter! It must have been wonderful.

I have strong memories of potato soup. I filled up on the potatoes and dumplings (which I loved), but I couldnt stand the onions. I recall having to sit at the table after everyone had left, being forced to eat cold soup. Laura once tried to mush the onions together and convince me they were potatoes. I was not fooled.

Years later, when I was selling volleyball equipment to Minnesota coaches, I drove out to Willmar high school with a colleague. I called Mom to let her know we were in town, and she invited us for lunch before we headed back to Minneapolis.

Well, the lunch was wonderful, and I will never forget it. Mom had made potato soup, and ham and cheese sandwiches on toast, setting the dining room table with her nice china. Quite a gracious meal, and what I distinctly remember was how good everything tasted, and how happy my colleague was with the impressive hospitality and a home-cooked meal.

If I ever make this soup, I will mince the onions very finely, and perhaps add some leeks and a bit of celery. Thanks, Mother, for the wonderful soup!